Massage is a valuable addition to your acupuncture practice and this CPD aims to focus on the combination of the two, as well as allowing you to work independently with massage, should you so choose.
The course, offered by the International College of Oriental Medicine, in collaboration with the Institute of Sports & Remedial Massage & Soft Tissue Therapy, leads to the BTEC (Level 5) Diploma in Remedial Massage & Soft Tissue Therapy, one of the most highly respected qualifications in the industry, and gives eligibility for full membership to the Institute of Sport & Remedial Massage and Soft Tissue Therapists (ISRM). As a full ISRM member, you can obtain professional indemnity insurance to practice as a Sport & Remedial massage and Soft Tissue therapist and also register with the Complementary & Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC).
The course has been designed specifically for Acupuncture graduates and students who have completed at least their first year of a recognised Acupunture course. It is made up of 14 training days, running from 10:00am to 4:30pm. It is essential that students practice the techniques between classes and for this reason the course is spread over two months.
There will be continuous assessment throughout, with a formal practical and written examination at the end of the course. Qualification will be awarded once all the components have been successfully completed. These include:
- One written assignment
- Two case studies
- 30 treatment logs
- One practical exam
- One written exam
Learning objectives includes:
- General Massage Techniques (Deep tissue massage/treatment specific massage)
- Contra-indications to massage
- Postural Assessment
- Joint assessment
- Friction & Neuromuscular Techniques & clinical application
- Soft Tissue Release & clinical application
- Muscle Energy Techniques & clinical application
- Myofascial Release Techniques & clinical application
- Case history taking
- Treatment of common injuries
- Day 1: Introduction to Massage & Soft Tissue
Therapy Contraindications General Massage techniques
- Day 2: Muscles – function (concentric, eccentric, isometric)
General massage practice
- Day 3: Friction and Neuromuscular Techniques (NMT)
Positional Release technique
- Day 4: Massage and Soft Tissue Release (STR)
- Day 5: Case History Taking & Injury Scenarios
STR & the acupuncture channels
- Day 6: Postural Assessment.
- Day 7: Joint assessment: hip, knee, shoulder.
- Day 8: Muscle Energy Techniques (MET) & treatment practice
- Day 9: Hip, knee & ankle: common injuries & treatment practice
- Day 10: Neck, back & shoulder: common injuries & treatment practice
- Day 11: Myofascial Release Techniques & clinical scenarios
- Day 12: STR/MET consolidation
- Day 13: Clinical integration & consolidation of techniques
- Day 14: Practical & written examinations
No previous massage experience is necessary, however applicants must:
- Have passed a level 4 examination/assessment in Anatomy & Physiology
- Have a good working knowledge of functional musculoskeletal anatomy
The course will be delivered at the International College of Oriental Medicine, Green Hedges Avenue, East Grinstead from 10:00am to 4:30pm on the following dates:
- June: 10th /11th – 24th /25th
- July: 8th /9th – 22nd /23rd
- August: 5th/6th – 19th /20th – 27th/28th
Fees and Payment options
The fees include VAT & BTEC registration and certification. Bookings accepted till 1st June 2019
Full course: £1495
Early bird: £1395 (if paid in full by 1st May)
If you wish to pay by instalments please email [email protected]ac.uk to advise them of your choice and select Bank Transfer as payment option when you check out.
.Payment by instalments :
- 1st instalment £515 – by 30th May 2019
- 2nd instalment £515 – by 30th June 2019
- 3rd instalment £515 – by 30th July 2019
Tutor: Alison Dalziel
Alison is a fully qualified and highly experienced massage therapist with over twenty-five years experience. She specialises in sports and remedial massage and advanced soft tissue therapies. Since 2011 Alison has been teaching at the London School of Sports Massage (LSSM) in both lead and assisting roles on the BTEC (level 5) Clinical Sports & Remedial Massage and Advanced Soft Tissue Therapy courses. She has also been appointed as Course Coordinator and Lead Tutor at the LSSM Brighton branch. Alison gained a BTEC (level 5) Diploma Clinical Sports & Remedial Massage and a Diploma Sport & Remedial Massage Therapy from the LSSM (London School of Sports Massage). She also has Itec Diplomas in Reflexology and Aromatherapy and a City & Guilds (level 3) PTLLS (Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector).
Alison has worked alongside Physiotherapists, Osteopaths and doctors in Asia, Spain and the UK and is currently in her final year studying a BSc (Hons) degree at the International College of Oriental Medicine.
“Alison is an experienced and well regarded soft tissue and remedial therapist and tutor in her field. Having worked alongside her at the London School of Sports Massage for several years now, I would not hesitate to seek her out for treatment.”
M.B. – Remedial Soft Tissue Therapist and Medical Acupuncturist at PhysioPlus.
“Alison has a wealth of experience in treating patients with a variety of musculoskeletal injuries both at the highest level of sport as well as lifestyle injuries. Alison’s calm manner and clinical reasoning means that she can assess and treat in the most professional way possible, ensuring a comprehensive and satisfactory outcome. I am delighted to recommend her.”
Zac Laraman – Sports Osteopath.