This FHT accredited Remedial Massage Therapy course aims to enable the student to gain the skills and confidence to provide remedial massage and specific soft tissue techniques in order to assess, treat and advise on musculo-skeletal imbalances within the clinic environment.
This course places particular emphasis on the standard massage techniques as well as assessment procedures and specific techniques. The student will develop an understanding of the health benefits of Remedial Massage and in addition to learning new skills, they will learn the importance of maintaining and restoring their own physical health by using the correct posture when working.
Topics covered in the course include:
- The history and origins of massage.
- Contraindications to massage.
- Different types of massage and their physiological effects and benefits.
- Attachment points and actions of major muscles and muscle groups.
- Different types of muscle injuries.
- The referral process – how to know when and when not to treat.
- Range of movement assessment for axial and appendicular joints.
- Postural assessment to determine muscular imbalance.
- Remedial massage techniques including effleurage, petrissage and tapotement.
- Deep tissue massage techniques.
- Neuromuscular techniques; trigger points and friction.
- Soft Tissue Release techniques.
- Overuse syndrome.
- The fascial network and basic treatment techniques.
- Treatment planning and evaluation of results.
- Advertising and marketing guidelines
On successful completion of this course, students will be able to recognise, assess and treat the most common musculo-skeletal imbalances which present in clinic; provide a treatment plan, estimation of outcomes and evaluation of results.
April 6 & 27 2024
May 25 & 26
July 6, 13 & 27
Aug 10 & 31
Sept 7, 21 & 28
This course is open to acupuncture students and graduates alike. Level 3 or 4 anatomy and physiology exams must have been successfully completed within the past five years and proof of qualification in these subjects must be provided before qualification will be granted. Practicing acupuncturists will only need to provide proof of A&P qualification, irrespective of the length of time they have been qualified. No prior knowledge of massage is necessary, however, if you have previously completed a level 3 massage course, you may find this course will enhance your knowledge, range of techniques and general massage skills.
Please email [email protected] with proof of study prior to booking.
Duration/ method of study
The course will comprise of 12 days of classroom attendance, including a final day for practical exams. The days will be staggered over the academic year and will vary depending on start date. The classroom days will be split into theory and practical sessions, mainly with the theory in the morning and practical in the afternoon. You will be expected to allow 4 hours per week of home practice for the duration of the course.
£1495 if paid in full
£1595 if paid by monthly instalments. A £250 deposit is required at time of booking if paying by instalments. The first payment for instalment option must be made before end of February and then monthly payments until September (8 instalments). Please email us if you would like to pay by instalments.
Course material and assessment
Course material will consist of comprehensive handouts, a written assignment to be completed at home and continual assessment throughout the duration of the course.
Thirty-six case studies/ treatment logs are to be completed and handed in on the final exam day. A clinical practice exam will be assessed by an external assessor.
On successful completion of the course, students will be awarded fully accredited qualification in Remedial Massage Therapy. Once you have obtained professional insurance you will be able to work as a Remedial Massage Therapist and add this set of skills to your client/patient offering.
About the Teacher
Alison has been working as a therapist since 1994 with Massage, Reflexology and Aromatherapy and has specialised in Sports & Remedial Massage for the last fifteen years, working alongside Physiotherapists, Osteopaths and doctors in Asia, Spain and the UK. She has worked as one of the lead tutors at the London School of Soft Tissue Therapy (www.lssm.com.), where she has been teaching since 2011.
Alison was awarded a first class BSc (Hons) degree in Chinese Acupuncture with Greenwich University, having studied a three year full time degree at the International College of Oriental Medicine. She is also proud to have been part of the teaching faculty at this prestigious college.
Alison incorporates Traditional Chinese Medicine, Five Element and Classical Stems and Branches approaches in her acupuncture treatments. She is a member of the Institute of Sports & Remedial Massage and of the British Acupuncture Council (BAcC) and practices from The Perrymount Clinic in Haywards Heath.
Cancellation policy for CPD course bookings at ICOM
- Refunds for cancellations two or more months before the course commencement will incur a 15% administration fee.
- Refunds for cancellations between two months and two weeks before the course commencement will incur a 25% administration fee.
- Refunds for cancellations two weeks before the course commencement will incur a 50% administration fee.
- No refund will be given for no shows or cancellations upon the course commencement.
- Any amount overpaid by the student will automatically be refunded to the student’s account.